- → Drug & Alcohol Rehab For Women in Florida
- → Intervention Project for Nurses (IPN)
- → Outpatient Rehab for Women in Florida
- → Professionals Resource Network (PRN)
- → Residential Treatment in Florida for Women
- → Resource For Women Veterans
- → Women’s Aftercare Services in Florida
- → Women’s Detox Services in Florida
- → Women’s Dual-Diagnosis Addiction Treatment in Florida
- → Women’s Intensive Outpatient Program in Florida
Take the next step...
Wayside House Is Now A Welcome Resource For Women Veterans
Wayside House has partnered with the Veteran’s Administration Medical Center in Riviera Beach to provide addiction recovery services to women veterans.
Our military protectors often face a variety of challenges when they return to civilian life. Many face drug and alcohol addiction. Also complicating drug abuse issues among returning service men and women is the fact that many who were injured become dependent upon the prescription drugs used to treat the pain that accompanies their injuries.
Those who have been in areas of conflict around the world often return with traumatic memories and post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD). Many veterans suffering from an addiction have co-occurring PTSD. Once referred to as “shellshock” and later “battle fatigue,” PTSD can be caused by witnessing warfare or other significantly tragic or startling events.
Although most cases of PTSD are caused by combat, veterans may also develop the disorder after sexual abuse — about 23 percent of veteran women have reported being sexually assaulted during their time in the military. A study by the National Institute on Drug Abuse shows that military personnel, especially those who have faced multiple deployments are more likely to binge drink and misuse prescription drugs than the general population.
According to the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs:
- More than 2 of 10 veterans with PTSD also have substance addictions.
- War veterans with PTSD and alcohol problems tend to be binge drinkers.
- Almost 1 out of every 3 veterans seeking treatment for substance addictions also has PTSD.
Veterans’ hospitals are inundated with patients who are facing addiction, as well as physical and mental health issues. The Veteran’s Administration Medical Center in Riviera Beach is no exception and it is now turning to Wayside House to help women veterans who are facing drug or alcohol addiction.
If you are a veteran facing addiction, please contact your local veterans’ hospital. Women served by the Veteran’s Administration Medical Center in Riviera Beach can contact that facility for referral to Wayside House. Call 561-422-8262 for an assessment and referral.